Are nachos on repeat in your house? They’re a favourite meal for us. The chilli beans are cooked without oil, and the vegan sour cream is cooked in the Vitamix on the hot soup cycle (though I’m sure it can be cooked in a Thermomix). Salad is a salsa, and avocado is mashed to which you add a squeeze of lime, salt and pepper. I’m not a fan of hot food, but you could add jalapenos to the chilli beans and salsa.
· Manganese, in which kidney beans are abundant, is one aspect of the antioxidant defense they provide.
· The vitamin K in kidney beans offers outstanding benefits for the brain and nervous system.
· The soluble fibre in kidney beans decreases the metabolism rate of the bean’s carbohydrates, which prevents blood sugar levels from rapidly spiking after a meal.
· The insoluble fibre in kidney beans helps to maintain bowel regularity by increasing stool bulk.
· The high fibre content of kidney beans is responsible for their cholesterol-lowering power.
· Kidney beans are high in iron, which helps increase your energy levels.
· Kidney beans are a great source of protein, providing a level of protein comparable to that found in meat or dairy.
· The manganese and calcium in kidney beans work hand in hand to maintain strong bones and along with other trace minerals may help prevent osteoporosis.
V, DF, GF
Vegan sour cream:
½ cup raw cashews
½ cup water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Place ingredients in the blender and blend on the hot soup cycle until thick. Pour into a serving glass jar.
Oil free chilli beans:
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tomatoes, chopped
400 gram tin kidney beans
¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
½ teaspoon cumin
Fry the onion in a little water for about 5 minutes until transparent. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
½ red onion
Roughly dice cucumber, tomato, red onion, olives and parsley. Add to a bowl and mix. Add jalepenos if desired.
1 avocado, mashed
Grinding of black pepper
Gently stir enough lime juice in to your desired taste. Add a grinding off Himalayan salt and black pepper.
Organic GF corn chips
Assemble by spooning a portion of each onto your plate. Use chips to gather food. Enjoy!