A cool drink with a festive Christmas feast is essential. With non-alcoholic white wine, water or mineral water as the base, add fresh fruit combinations like:
- strawberries or watermelon chunks and pomegranate seeds with mint leaves
- pineapple chunks, mango slices and passionfruit
- raspberries, blueberries and peach or nectarine slices
- kiwi, banana and orange slices
These fruit flavours are delicate after steeping for about an hour in the fridge. It’s best to add slices of lemons and limes just before serving, as the flavour will become too sour if steeped for a length of time. These beautiful drinks are loaded with antioxidants and make a great drink for a seasonal party.
· Pomegranates are rich in vitamin C, potassium, and fibre. The majority of the fibre is found in the white seeds hiding beneath the pockets of juice.
· A compound found only in pomegranates called punicalagin benefits the heart and blood vessels. Punicalagin is responsible for pomegranate's antioxidant and health benefits. It not only lowers cholesterol, but also lowers blood pressure and increases the speed at which heart blockages melt away.
FRUITY REFRESHER DRINKS
Makes 1 litre
750 ml bottle non-alcoholic white wine, water or mineral water
2 cups fruit, sliced or chunked
½ lemon or lime, finely sliced
handful mint, roughly chopped
1 cup ice
Pour the wine, water or mineral water into a glass jug, add the sliced fruit and chill in the refrigerator while the flavours steep. Just before serving, add finely sliced lemons or limes, mint and ice.